Grandparents as advocates
The needs of families are becoming more complex and the support grandparents can offer to their own family and to other families is significant. Through acting together grandparents are becoming strong advocates. They are the custodians of considerable wisdom, compassion and skills that are being put to good use in activities to support families and to benefit the wider community.
GPV believes that:
- All children must be protected and given every opportunity and support to fulfil their potential
- Grandparents have a responsibility to engage in public discussions and to take action to ensure the wellbeing of all children
- Grandparents have unique understandings and attitudes that will have special influence on decisions about child wellbeing
GPV aims to:
- Link grandparents across the state and the nation
- Identify, articulate and promote the needs of grandchildren and grandparents
- Represent the views of grandparents in public consultations and influence policy and practice affecting families
- Share ideas and information about what works well in supporting families.